Because everone loves fries. And also, because everyone who loves fries also knows they are kinda…you know… fattening. Tragic, I know. But here’s where I come to the rescue. Hear me out: baked sweet potato fries. Why sweet potatoes? Because they contain excellent amounts of beta carotene and more vitamin C than regular potatoes.
As I was saying, these fries are trully game-changing. Why, you might wonder? Almost no oil,but still crispy. Salty-sweet taste that combines perfectly with a lemon-tahini yogurt dressing.
The secret behind the perfect baked sweet potato fries:
-Cut evenly-sized fries. This will help them cook evenly and you won’t have any over- or under-cooked fries.
-After cutting them, rinse them with cold water and dry them with paper towels.
-If you wanna go for a full-crisp experience, toss a tablespoon of cornstarch on them before adding the oil.
-Be patient with the spices- Add the condiment mixture after baking them, in order to give them extra flavour. You’ll also avoid burning the spices and them losing taste.
-I served my fries with a lemon-tahini yogurt dip, easy as pie: just mix some greek yogurt with the juice from half a lemon and half a tablespoon of tahini, some diced garlic, salt pepper and smoked paprika and you just transformed your dish into a Morrocan heaven!
Oven baked sweet potato fries
Sweet potato fries
- 3 Sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ½ tsp Smoked paprika
- Chopped parsley for topping at the end
Lemon-tahini yogurt dressing
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- ½ tbsp Tahini
- 1 Garlic clove finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ tsp Olive oil
- Carefully wash the sweet potatoes.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200°C. Line a tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1 cm wide fries. Wash them with cold water and wipe them dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, add the fries and mix them with the cornstarch. Then add the oil and mix .
- Place the fries in the tray and spread them in an even layer.
- Place the tray in the oven and cook 15 minutes on each side. Flip the potatoes with a spatula.
- Take the tray out of the oven, add the condiment mixture and cook the fries for 5 more minutes.
- Let the fries rest for 5 minutes before taking them out of the tray, to prevent breaking them.