I’m a huge fan of tarts in all shapes and sizes and one of my favourite ones ever is this Summer Berry Galette. If there’s a quiche, a crostata, tart, pie or a galette at your dinner table, count me in! And what I love most about them is how versatile they are. You can easily adapt – or invent – a recipe with whatever you find in your fridge or pantry. Most of the times I make pies and tarts with seasonal fruits and vegetables.
Okay, now let’s talk galettes. They sound so fancy, I know. But trust me, they’re easy as pie*wink wink*! And the fun part is that you can actually fill them with anything! From berries to apples, peaches, or even tomatoes or zucchini! So yeah, that’s what I meant when I said they’re versatile.
Tips and trick for the Summer berry galette:
-I used home-made shortcrust pastry, I’ll come back with the recipe in another article, but until then you can find it in this tart recipe right here.
-Blueberries are a great choice because they are high in pectine, an ingredient that makes jams set. If you skip the blueberries, just sprinkle some semolina flour or breadcrums on the dough before adding the filling. That way, you will isolate the base and avoid a soggy dough.
-Bake your galette in a pie or tart pan, so you avoid any possible spilleage.
-The dough should be 0.3-0.5 cm thick. Too thick and it’be too chewy, too thin and it will burn. You want it nice and crispy, but not too crispy!
-Make sure you stick the folded edges together, so they keep the fruit and the juice they will leave inside.Don’t forget, the galette is a free-form pie, so don’t stress too much about how it looks like!
Brush the pastry edges with eggwash and sprinkle sugar on top.
– I strongly recommend serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. ( Go ahead and trust me on that). Enjoy!
Summer berry galette
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (plus more for sprinkling on the dough)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 shortcrust pastry dough (Homemade or store-bought, they both work just as fine)
- Preheat the oven at 190˚ C
- Roll the pastry into a 25 cm circle.
- Mix the berries with the sugar and lemon juice, then place the mixture in the centre of the dough.
- Fold the edges, leaving the fruit in the middle uncovered.
- Brush the galette edges with eggwash and sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Place the galette in the oven for 30-35 min.
- Allow it to cool and place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Serve warm or cold.