I’m gonna be really bold and call this the Best Carrot Cake Recipe and not because I’m being cocky, but because it’s an honest review I got from my friends! It’s moist and perfectly spiced and has this ultra-creamy white chocolate cream cheese frosting… So it’s basically a classic Carrot Cake with a modern twist, to say so.
And with Christmas just around the corner, this Carrot Cake recipe comes just in time for you to pin it and write down the ingredients on the shopping list. I promise you’re gonna impress all your guests with this beauty!
Tips and tricks for the perfect Carrot Cake:
-For a more authentic taste, add 1/2 cup of raisins. I’m not a huge fan, so I skipped this step.
-Use a butter with a high fat percentage and a high quality chocolate (like the one I used) for the frosting. This will make it super velvety!
-Make sure all your ingredients are room temperature. If you forgot about this, just place the eggs in warm water until they reach room temp and place the butter next to a source of heat to soften.
-After grating the carrots, pat them dry with a paper towel to remove the excess water.
-You can use any nuts you like. I used walnuts for the cake and pecans for topping the cake.
Carrot Cake Recipe
- 300 g grated carrots (approx. 3 cups)
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 250 g flour (2 cups)
- 115 g sugar (1 cup)
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 300 ml oil of your choice + 2 tbsp separate (1¼cups)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp freshly ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250 g cream cheese (1cup)
- 200 g butter
- 200 g powdered sugar (1¾cups)
- 200 g white chocolate finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- The ingredients are enough for 3x20cm diameter trays or one 25×35 cm rectangular tray if you're making a sheetcake.
- Mix the sugar with the oil, then add the eggs 1 by 1 .
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (except for the carrots and nuts). Add the mix on top of the wet ingredients and combine. Add the carrots, then finish by adding the nuts.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes (toothpick test), after the trays have been greased and floured. If you're baking 2 or 3 layers, make sure the batter is evenly divided.
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While the cake is in the oven, melt the white chocolate on bain-marie (in a heat resistant bowl, on top of a saucepan with boiling water), making sure the bowl with chocolate isn't dirrectly touching the water. Allow the chocolate to cool down.
- Mix the room temperature butter with the salt on medium speed for about 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and mix for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, white chocolate(after it's completely cooled down) and vanilla and mix together until smooth and evenly mixed (2-3 min).
Assembling the cake
- If you made a sheet cake, you just have to top it with the frosting.
- If you made the 3 layers for a layered cake, equally divide the frosting in 3 parts. Choose the flattest cake for the base, then top it with ⅓of the frosting. Add the 2nd cake and repeat. Add the top layer and coat it with frosting, then transfer it to the fridge for 10 minutes to allow the first layer of frosting to cool down.
- Take the cake out of the fridge and finish frosting it with a spatula. (You can use a knife if you don't have a spatula). Decorate with chopped nuts if wanted.