Now that the temperatures are dropping and it’s getting chilly, it’s the perfect time to remember our dearest: Comfort food. And what better comfort food is there than soup? This Green Pea Soup is ready in less than 30 minutes and it goes perfectly with some crumbled feta or crispy bacon on top. Check out the recipe and some tips below.
Tips and tricks for a good Green Pea Soup:
-I used frozen peas for my soup and the boiling time was about 10 minutes. Adjust it according to the type of peas you’re using (fresh, frozen, pre-boiled etc).
-One of the most important ingredients in a nice cream soup is the stock. Using a good chicken or vegetable stock will bring lots of extra flavour to your soup.
-Adding a potato to your ingredient list will help the soup get a creamy, rich texture. You can skip this step if you want a thinner soup.
-The final touch for the Green pea soup is the cooking cream. After boiling all the ingredients, I drain the vegetables (and keep the stock), puree the vegetables and add 100 ml of cooking cream. After this, I pour the stock, adjusting the thickness to my preference. This way you won’t end up with a soup that’s too runny. Replace with a vegan option if needed. I used this one.
Green Pea Soup
- 500 ml chicken or vegetable stock (Replace with water if needed, but add salt & pepper)
- 500 g frozen peas
- 1 potato peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100 ml cooking cream (you can replace with a vegan option)
- 1 tbsp butter (30 g)
- Croutons, Feta Cheese or Crunchy Bacon
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat. If you chose to top it with bacon, fry it in the pan and set it aside. Use the same pan for the following steps.
- Add the onion and the potato (both diced) and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden.
- Add the peas and the stock and bring to the boil, then simmer until the peas are tender (about 10 minutes depending on size).
- Remove from heat once tender. Drain the vegetables and transfer them to a blender. Add the cooking cream and puree until smooth. Start adding the stock and mix, stopping when it reached the desired thickness.
- Serve with croutons, crunchy bacon or crumbled Feta cheese.