With the whole Coronavirus situation going on worldwide, we gotta find joy in the little things that we took for granted for so long. Cook a proper dinner and enjoy it with your loved ones or alone (get to know yourself better, now’s the time), open that fancy bottle of wine you got as a gift but never found the right moment for, call your mom and thank her, talk to the friends you lost touch with, read that book you never had the time for, dance it out. Just don’t call your ex, that’s a no-no.
So if you’re looking for some inspo for tonight’s dinner, here’s my Teriyaki Chicken Recipe, with a homemade sauce. I’m pretty sure you already have the ingredients in your pantry, so no need to get exposed for this one.
Tips and tricks for the best Teriyaki Chicken:
-This recipe works best with chicken thighs, because they’re juicier. You can also use chicken breast, pork or even beef – whatever works best for you.
-The secret to the best Teriyaki sauce is the sesame oil, but if you can’t find it, just add 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds instead – that’s what I did and the result was delicious.
-You can replace the cornstarch with flour as thickening agent.
- 500 g skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 50 ml soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar or white sugar
- 3 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds or sesame oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or flour
- 1 green onion
- 125 g rice uncooked
- 1 broccoli
- Cut the skinless, boneless chicken thighs into cubes and cook it in the 1 tbsp of cooking oil, in a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce, except for the cornstarch.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the sauce and set the heat on low. Allow it to simmer for a few minutes, then add the cornstarch and continue to mix.
- Slice the green onion.
Rice and broccoli
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the rice in vegetable or chicken stock.
- Steam the broccoli.
- Place the rice in a bowl, then add some Teriyaki Chicken. Add some broccoli florets and sprinkle some green onion and sesame seeds on top.